過去完成時態
Tweet‘Why is this room so messy?’ asked Mum as she glared at Matthew. His room looked like a hurricane had swept through it. ‘I told you to make sure it was clean before I came back, didn’t I?’
「這房間怎麽這麽亂?」媽媽瞪著馬修,問道。他的房間看起來就像被一場颶風席卷過一樣。「我告訴過你,在我回來之前確保它是乾淨的,不是嗎?」
‘I cleaned it, but-’ Matthew explained.
「我打掃過了,但是——」馬修解釋道。
‘You call this a clean room?’
「你稱之為一間乾淨的房間嗎?」
‘I cleaned it, I did!’ Matthew’s eyes watered.
「我打掃過了,真的!」馬修的眼眶濕潤了。
‘First you disobey me, and now you lie to me. You’re in big trouble.’ Mum shook her head, and Matthew could see their planned trip to Disneyland disappearing like smoke.
「首先你沒有按照我的要求做,現在你又欺騙我。你有大麻煩了。」媽媽搖了搖頭,馬修可以預見,他們計劃的迪士尼樂園之旅像煙霧一樣消失了。
‘I really did clean it, Mum. But Lucky raced around the room with a roll of tissue afterwards, and he did all this!’ Matthew glared at the dog, which still had a scrap of white hanging from its mouth.
「我真的把房間打掃乾淨了,媽媽。但後來幸運銜著一卷紙巾在房間裏跑來跑去,是牠把房間弄得亂七八糟的!」馬修瞪著那隻狗,牠的嘴裏還有一塊白色的東西。
‘Now I see.’ Matthew’s mother hugged him. ‘Thank you for explaining. But you should have said, “Before Lucky made all this mess, I had cleaned the room perfectly.” Then, I would have understood straight away.’
「現在我明白了。」馬修的媽媽擁抱了他。「謝謝你把事情解釋清楚了。但你應該說,『在幸運把房間弄得一團糟之前,我已經把這裏打掃得很幹凈了。』這樣,我就會馬上明白的。」
看了上面的對話,你知道媽媽為什麽要糾正馬修嗎?這是因為馬修沒有使用過去完成時把事情解釋清楚。當我們談論過去發生的兩個動作時,我們使用過去完成時來識別兩個事件中較早發生的那件事並明確順序。
我的許多學生都在努力區分一般過去時和過去完成時:如果要表示過去發生的事情,應該使用一般過去時,而不是過去完成時。
I had folded the clothes. 不正確
I folded the clothes. 正確
當我們想要表明事件的順序時,我們使用過去完成時。例如,(a)句表明我在另一個動作(詹姆斯回家)發生之前做了一個動作(疊衣服)。(b)句沒有使用過去完成時,它表明我疊衣服是因為詹姆斯要回家了。
- I had folded the clothes before Jamez came home. 在詹姆斯回家之前,我已經把衣服疊好了。
- I folded the clothes before Jamez came home. 我疊衣服是因為詹姆斯要回家了
以下是我們使用過去完成時的兩種主要方式:
我們可以使用過去完成時來表示同一個句子中兩個過去發生的動作中較早的動作。
讓我們看看這些句子:
Dad prepared breakfast at 9:30 this morning. 爸爸今天早上9點30分準備了早餐。
Johnny woke up at 10:00 this morning. 約翰尼今天早上10點起了床。
這兩個動作都發生在過去,所以我們使用一般過去時。但是,如果我們想把兩個句子邏輯清楚地組合在一起,我們需要使用過去完成時。
Dad had prepared breakfast before Johnny woke up. 在約翰尼醒來之前,爸爸已經準備好了早餐。
我們使用過去完成時來表明一個動作(準備早餐)發生在過去的另一個動作(約翰尼醒來)之前。
過去完成時也可以用來表示在過去某個特定時間之前發生的事情。
She had established her company before 2008. 她在2008年之前成立了自己的公司。
He had never played football until last week. 直到上周,他才踢過足球。
現在,你明白媽媽為什麼在本文開頭的對話中糾正馬修了吧?如果你想更多地練習一般過去時和過去完成時,請瞭解我們的I Love Grammar系列吧!